Q. What are charter schools?
A. Charter schools extend the privilege of choice to all families. They provide options for parents and students in pursuing their ideal educational experience. Charter schools are open to all children free of charge who are eligible to attend traditional public schools in the state of Michigan. Charter schools are governed by a local Board of Directors and are required to meet and often exceed the standards of its Authorizer and the State Board of Education
Q. How are charter schools governed?
A. Charter schools are governed by a Board of Directors appointed by the School's Authorizer. Bylaws of the Board of Directors outline its role and responsibilities. Some charter schools employ an education service provider/management company to provide executive leadership and management services. Other charter schools choose to go it alone with the Board and School Director.
Q. What are the benefits of sending my child to a charter school?
A. Children attending charter schools benefit from small class sizes, high academic standards, and innovative approaches to teaching and learning. Charter schools are organized by a founding group that is passionate about the basic tenets of the curriculum. Enthusiasm for the school is contagious. Board members, staff members, parents, students, and community members are attracted to the charter school because their interests coincide with the charter school's educational program and special themes. Charter schools have to be responsive to parents' concerns because they operate in a free market. Parents literally make the choice to send their children to the magnet or theme school. Parents also typically transport their children to school, which means that parents have a stronger connection and more active communications with the faculty and staff.
Q. How do I enroll my child in Hillsdale Preparatory School?
A. Parents or legal guardians are invited to submit an application for student enrollment at the school. All forms must be submitted in person. Students will be accepted and assigned to classes on a first come, first served basis. If a particular grade is full, students will participate in a lottery process at the end of the official enrollment period or will be placed on a waiting list in the order enrollment applications are received.
Click here to download the Hillsdale Preparatory School Application
Q. Who is eligible to enroll at Hillsdale Prep?
A. Any student eligible to attend public schools in Michigan is eligible to enroll at the school. To enroll in Kindergarten, your child must be at least five years of age on September 1st of the school year of enrollment. Hillsdale Prep does not discriminate against any student on the basis of ethnicity, national origin, gender, or disability. Charter schools are public schools and all children are encouraged to attend.
Q. What materials are required for enrollment for the first time?
- Birth certificate: The child’s birth certificate is required for enrollment at all grades.
- Immunizations for Kindergarten: Parents of students entering Kindergarten must present proof that at least one dose of the following immunizations has been received:
- MMR (Measles, Mumps and Rubella)
- DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus)
- Or TD (Tetanus and Diphtheria)
- Hepatitis B
- Certificate of hearing and vision examination after age 3 and before entrance into Kindergarten
- Immunizations-Transfer Students: All new students must satisfy the same immunization requirements. Parents must present proof that immunizations have been received.
- Emergency Care Information: An Emergency Care Information Card must be filled out completely and filed in the office for use in emergency situations. Please list emergency contacts in the event a parent is not available. Correct telephone numbers are essential. Parents/guardians are expected to update the card as changes occur. (Click here to download this form)
Volunteers are encouraged and welcomed at Hillsdale Preparatory. Parents/Guardians are encouraged to talk with their student’s teachers to ask how they could help. All volunteers will be subject to background checks.
Call the Hillsdale Preparatory School at (517) 437-4625 for more information about our school and the answers to more of the most frequently asked questions.